Monday, June 16, 2008

MotorSports.....Entertainment?

How convenient.

NASCAR, facing a $225M lawsuit, just happens to get the ultimate positive public relations story:

Dale Earnhardt, Jr., NASCAR's favorite son, won Sunday's race at Michigan International Raceway.

Now, people who know me understand that I don't consider NASCAR a sport. However, with this weekend's results, I have reached a decision. Taking a cue from the WWE, I have decided that I will refer to NASCAR as "motorsports entertainment."

Much like wrestling, which is a show, not a sport, NASCAR always seems to get the "fairy tale" ending. Dale Earnhardt Sr. dies at the Daytona 500, then, that same year, in the fall race at Daytona, Junior basically passes twenty cars in twenty laps to win. Tears ensue. I didn't cry, but I watched the last thirty laps (or so) of that race, and it was gripping television. It was like watching Ricky Steamboat and Ric Flair in a 60-minute wresting classic.

Now, after leaving his father's race team for Hendrick Motorsports, Junior ends his 76 race winless streak on Father's Day. A week after the massive harassment and discrimination lawsuit is filed.

Somewhere in Connecticut, Vince McMahon is chuckling.

No comments: